Remember back in the day when getting foot traffic was a breeze. Marketing consisted of direct mail, newspaper ads, and maybe some TV, radio, and magazines. Yes, those were the days. Times have changed and so must your marketing. Successful local furniture retailers are spending more of their ad budgets on digital formats. If you are still doing what you did 15 years ago, it's time to re-evaluate. There are a lot of challenges you face to keep your doors open and frustrations dealing with the Amazon's of the world. Doing what use to work doesn't work anymore and businesses that want to succeed must re-evaluate their marketing strategy.
You probably know you need to re-evaluate, but how do you get there? Where do you start with digital marketing? You don't have the time or the money to invest more. So you do nothing. You put it off month after month, after month. Maybe it keeps you up at night, you think about things you could do, but still, you don't know where to start or have the time. Let me help you. Here are a few quick ideas to get you going.
1. Look at your website like an employee, a 24 hour employee. If you invest in sales and product training or give raises to your employees you should do the same for your website. Remember, this is usually the first place a prospective consumer connects with your business. You want to give a good impression right?
2. Define who your audience is and where they come from. Or who you want to reach more of. Maybe it's a certain ethnicity, or age, or occupation such as a designer.
3. Define the value of a customer. One time and lifetime. What is the average order size of a customer?
4. Find your digital marketing specialist. This specialist knows the digital space and understands your business and the industry. They take the time to get to know you, your business challenges and goals. The right specialist will help develop KPI's (key performance indicators) based on those goals and hold themselves accountable. They do not take the cookie-cutter digital marketing approach, they customize your solution based on your needs, challenges, and goals. They help build a digital marketing strategy with the ultimate objective to influence the purchase decision without spending advertising money inefficiently.
5. Develop your digital marketing budget with a defined strategy in mind. Your customers experience across different marketing channels needs to be smooth, integrated and consistent. Your customer may start on one channel and move to another as they reach the final conversion. You want to strategically utilize different marketing channels to reach your potential customers. It's about putting the right message, in the right channel at the right time that creates multi-channel success. Begin to think about your customers path to purchase. Are there gaps where you are potentially losing prospects? Once you have a strategy in mind, what return on ad spend do you need to be successful? If you spent $5,000 on a Digital Campaign in one month, and during the same month this campaign generated a revenue of $20,000, then your return would be: $20,000/$5000 = 4:1 or 400%. Think about it, if your average sale is $2,000 the campaign would pay for itself in a few sales.
6. Be sure to have full visibility into your program. You want your program set up so you can understand what media channel is producing the best traffic. You want to understand how it is or isn’t reaching your KPIs, and then you (and your specialist) want to be able to make changes and optimize based on that data.
Now is the time to join the other successful local furniture stores. Now is the time to take that step into the digital marketing space or create a more effective and custom strategy with industry experts. I welcome you to connect with me as a resource. Adtaxi is digital made simple, providing one trusted resource to be your partner and strategist, providing you with the building blocks of growth. I want to see you succeed, and through our proven methods and best practices you will.
A little about me: I joined my husband in the furniture industry a few years ago as a resource to his business. As reps we have sat with hundreds of store owners and listened to the challenges they face. So I bring you my knowledge and experience in your industry to offer my resources in the digital space. I would be happy to answer any questions, collaborate on ideas, or talk about what a partnership looks like in more detail. Please visit my profile or send me a direct email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit us online at adtaxi.com.